There are a number of simple things that you can do to help reduce the severity of adrenal fatigue symptoms and also reduce the potential of adding more symptoms. Here are 20 simple ways that you can help yourself:
- Don’t stay in a hot bath for too long, this adds to an already dehydrated system which is common with adrenal fatigue.
- Don’t stay out in the hot sun, this also further dehydrates you.
- Avoid doing too much in hot weather.
- Avoid going in saunas or spas.
- Stay away from glary environments if possible.
- Take regular breaks when working on a computer, the blue light coming off this device can further drain you. Download the software f.lux to help you with this.
- Eat regularly throughout the day, every 2-4 hours to keep your blood sugar levels balanced.
- Avoid eating foods that quickly raise your blood sugar levels and then drop them right down shortly afterwards, eg sugar, processed foods and simple carbohydrates such as baked goods and biscuits.
- Avoid stimulants like caffeine (especially coffee) and alcohol. These will further raise your cortisol levels.
- Avoid exercising when you are feeling exhausted, rather do some gentle breathing exercises to bring more oxygen into your body.
- Avoid exercising for too long, going past your body’s threshold in that moment.
- Avoid taking too many supplements (especially with severe adrenal fatigue) or the wrong supplements for your current needs. Understand that this is an individual requirement.
- Avoid relying only on supplements to increase your energy, they can give you a false sense of energy and drop you back down when you come off them, sometimes making things worse than before.
- Avoid going cold turkey on the supplements you are taking. Any changes while dealing with adrenal fatigue need to be slow.
- Avoid noisy, overstimulating situations.
- Avoid intense, deep massages. This can be a further drain on your system. If you do want to have massages, trial a massage that is shorter and lighter to see how you recover.
- Rest at the first possible moment, when you are going through a time of intense fatigue.
- Learn to stop pushing when you know you’ve had enough.
- Avoid staying up too late at night, getting up too early and not getting enough hours of sleep.
- Regularly activate the body’s parasympathetic nervous system through the art of creating a relaxation response, eg meditation, restorative yoga, activities that involve the fine motor movements of the hands.
Many of these above suggestions are talked about in other blog posts so be sure to click on any of the links to discover more detailed information on the topic of your choice.
I wish you well.